Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Seller of the Month: Ottoman



Summer - Oregon - USA



WHO (Your name, general description, any random bit of info about yourself, a vague sentence):

My name is Summer (yet, I usually go by Ottoman) and I have a BFA in Sculpture and Printmaking. Crafting has been my way to be creative, yet be a mom.

WHAT (Tell us about your shop, the items you make):

I opened my shop with the Moss Collection, items that have been needle felted to look like moss. I really tried to push the moss idea in as many ways possible, which includes: pincushions, sachets (most of which can be used as pincushions), accessories, jewelery, and housewares. I will also be debuting my new Cork Collection this week which is very exciting!

WHERE (Why do you sell on Etsy?):

What attracted me to Etsy is that it is visually stunning and clean-lined, I opened my own shop as a creative outlet and to start my own business without overhead. It's also wonderful to be associated with a website that promotes handmade items.

WHEN (When did you start making handmade items? When did you start selling on Etsy? Any tips for current/future sellers?):

I started making handmade items as a child, but in regard to crafting, I just recently started this adventure; prior to crafting, I concentrated on fine art. I started selling on Etsy in October of 2007. I'm pretty new to Etsy, but my tip for current/future sellers is to make what you love!

FUN (Whatever you feel like talking about. A favorite shop or item on Etsy, a website you think others should look at, why butterflies and toe socks should rule the world):

I have so many favorites on Etsy! I tend to be drawn toward work that has a lot of thought behind it, similar to conceptual art; I also love things with clean lines, and work that has been made with sensitivity to the environment...oh, and I do like kitcsh.

Aaaand…RANDOM QUESTION! Would you rather live in Antarctica or the Sahara?

I guess the Sahara; I think I would have a better chance at survival.

Featured Items

2 comments:

BWK Art said...

Enjoyed your feature! :)

maiko said...

thanks! ottoman's shop is very unique, i love it! :D