Friday, August 31, 2007

seller of the month: sudlow



Rachael Sudlow - Kansas - USA



WHO (Your name, general description, any random bit of info about yourself, a vague sentence):

My name is Rachael Sudlow, I'm a mid 20's full time artist. I live in the heart of the midwest in Kansas & and I'm slightly OCD about making my work...at least I love it, because i'm constantly creating. You can always find new designs in my shop at least weekly.

WHAT (Tell us about your shop, the items you make):

http://sudlow.etsy.com is my main selling outlet & I peddle my jewelry. For the most part, I make what I think I'd like to wear & then post it on etsy & see how the reactions are. Pieces like my Peapods & Monet's Waterlilies series have been bestsellers. I'm always on the hunt for new colors & beads & trying to learn new techniques.

WHERE (Why do you sell on Etsy?):

Because it's the best full time job I've ever had. I quit my dull office job & haven't looked back. It's really fulfilling to work with customers directly & to create new pieces based on their preferences.

WHEN (When did you start making handmade items? When did you start selling on Etsy? Any tips for current/future sellers?):

I started making art & jewelry ages ago, back in highschool. I went to the Rhode Island School of Design & that further pushed me. After leaving school I worked a regular job for awhile + just making items for myself. when I discovered etsy in November 2005, I was hooked. Things have gotten better & better from there & I've learned a lot. I always put 100% into my shop & my work, & I think it reflects that. I tell people the key to selling is quality pieces & good photography. Fast, good customer service is always a plus & doing custom work doesnt hurt as well.

WHY (Go on, free self-promotion time! Why should people buy from your shop?):

Because you're getting an original work of art. Most of my pieces start from the basics...a plain sheet of metal, a few beads & some chain...I hand saw, form & solder all my pieces, including small components like clasps. I have amazing customer service & often get custom special orders done within HOURS rather than days. I'm willing to alter & customize my pieces to suit your needs, whether it be a different color, a special stamped message or the length or size.

FUN (Whatever you feel like talking about. A favorite shop or item on Etsy, a website you think others should check out, why butterflies and toe socks should rule the world):

I'm heavily involved with my street team, EtsyMetals. They are my creative muses & a great sounding board for my work. Our group site is http://www.etsymetal.com & it has a listing of all the members & showcases some incredible talent that's worth checking out.

Also, if anyone is in the NE Kansas region, I teach at the Lawrence Arts Center in Lawrence, KS...I'm happy to get new people in to hammer, saw & create.

Aaaand…RANDOM QUESTION! If you could design your own wellies, what would you want on them?::

Bumblebees...I'm really into bugs right now.

Featured Items

No comments: